Enhancing Our Music
Shandon Organ and Bells
Both the Sanctuary Pipe Organ and Tower Bells enhances the music at Shandon.
Shandon’s Carillon of Bells, located just under the steeple, was cast by the Paccard Bell Foundry in Annecy, France. The Foundry is world-known for the high quality of its bells, and more than 90,000 bells from this foundry ring worldwide. Shandon’s 24 bells were installed by the Christoph Bell Company in Charleston, SC and are played by a small keyboard. The bells ring the Westminster Chime on the hour throughout the day and remind us that God is always present.
Shandon’s Organ in the Sanctuary was designed and built by the M. P. Moller Organ Company in Hagerstown, MD in 1949 and was installed in 1950 with additions in 1976, 1994, and 2021. The combination of the organ’s rich musical tones and the Sanctuary’s acoustics creates beautiful, magnificent music for worship services, musical events and community concerts. The Moller Company, established in 1880, was the world’s largest and most widely known organ manufacturer.
In 2021, an antiphonal division of 427 pipes totaling 7 ranks was installed, playable from the original console located in the choir loft. Currently the organ contains 3872 pipes which includes pipes in the chancel area and pipes in the antiphonal division. On Sunday, April 18, 2021 we consecrated and celebrated the organ refurbishment with special music during our traditional worship services. We are very grateful to Mrs. Patricia Beckler for making the 2021 organ refurbishment project possible.