A dynamic church with traditional roots
Shandon is far more than a beautiful structure of brick, stone and steel. It is built upon a great heritage – it rests upon a foundation made of stout hearts, of faithful and courageous people, and its elements are bound together by love and faith.
–The SC United Methodist Advocate 1959
In early 1909, a group of Methodists began to organize what is now Shandon United Methodist Church. Their first worship service was held in a schoolhouse at the corner of Lee and Queen Streets. By August of 1910, the new church had moved into its own building at the corner of Maple and Preston Streets. In 1914, a fire virtually destroyed this building and, even though the church was completely rebuilt, it was soon outgrown.
In 1928, Shandon merged with the Waverly Church, and in March of 1931, the church acquired the old Heathwood School building. The church thrived at this location, and was soon holding two Sunday morning worship services to accommodate attendance. As the membership grew, in 1945, the church purchased property at the corner of Adger and Devine Streets and constructed the Shandon Church that we know today. On September 4, 1949, the Sunday school classes marched from the Heathwood School facility to the new building. The first worship service was held in the new sanctuary on January 15, 1950.
Since 1909, Shandon, with faith, hope and love, has committed itself to promoting the growth of the Christian community in Columbia, in South Carolina, and throughout the world. It has grown from a small congregation on the eastern boundary of Columbia’s downtown business district to one of the largest United Methodist Churches in South Carolina. The history that Shandon is now making is a natural progression of what Shandon has always been. The spirit, commitment and faith that have brought us this far continues today! And the prospect for the future is bright and filled with the knowledge that the Spirit of the Lord will be with us always.
Shandon United Methodist Church gathers to worship God, nurture Christian faith, and go out into the world in mission.